JOIN OUR TEAM!
We’re a group of passionate people who recruit and support permanent families for older youth through innovative, respectful practices. If you are interested in joining our efforts, see the posting below for our Program Director. Details for applying are at the bottom of the posting.
- Provide child-specific recruitment services using strategies that prepare and engage youth to find their voice in permanency decisions being made on their behalf.
- Provide the full spectrum of adoption services to families, including recruitment, training, home study, comprehensive matching and transition services and post adoption support.
- Engaged participation with initial on-boarding period, which will include partnering with more experienced peers in order to develop a deep understanding of the role and the practice orientation of Ampersand Families. For the first six months to twelve months, the Permanency Specialist is expected be present in the office whenever s/he is not in the field meeting with youth, families or professional partners.
- Frequent and in-depth consultation with peers to develop strategies, promote creativity and maintain balance in this position which has a potential for high stress and emotional investment.
- Build relationships with the other professionals involved in the lives of each youth, and leverage those relationships to achieve permanency.
- Commit to taking time and asking questions in order to develop a deep understanding of the social and systemic influences that contribute to disparities and over-representation of older youth and youth of color in the child welfare system.
- Establish positive relationships with foster parents and other care providers, providing tools for them to act as a bridge for youth during the adoption process.
- Master’s Degree in social work or related field or Bachelor’s Degree and three years’ experience in child welfare, children’s mental health, adoption or foster care required.
- Experience working in permanency in Minnesota, direct family support and crisis intervention, childrens’ mental health and/or trauma-informed care preferred. Men and persons of color are particularly encouraged to apply.
- Valid driver’s license, insurance coverage, and clean driving record.
- Skills identified by youth for prospective Permanency Specialist: “They have to be able to connect with teens, ability to listen to youth, to be articulate. They can’t be scared of teenagers, and be willing to see ‘the dark side’ like when a teen is angry or stubborn or don’t want to listen or say stuff they don’t mean. They have to have the ability to persevere for permanency even when others on the team don’t believe it.”
- Ability to communicate effectively and develop partnerships with wide range of community members, social service professionals, families and youth.
- Ability to be flexible, take personal initiative, and be self-directed while embracing a work environment that demands collegial support and consultation and accountability.
- Strong written and verbal communication skills.
- Well-organized, strong attention to detail and the ability to multi-task.
- Available and willing to travel throughout Minnesota, including occasional overnight work trips.
- BCA and social services background check required.
Ampersand Families strives for diversity, inclusivity and equity in who we serve, who we employ and who leads the organization as board members. The agency is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, nationality, ethnic background, age, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, marital status, socio-economic status, status with regard to public assistance, political affiliation, veteran status, other non-visible differences and other protected attributes.
To be considered for this position, send a cover letter including your interest in the position, what you will bring to the position, and why you are the ideal candidate, along with a resume to Ampersand Families at firstname.lastname@example.org. Position open until filled.