OUR DIVERSITY, EQUITY & INCLUSION STATEMENT
Ampersand Families believes that diversity, equity and inclusion must be central to all major organizational operations so that we can most effectively serve our youth, families and other stakeholders, and so that we can maintain our leadership role in the community.
- Ampersand Families defines diversity as the inclusion, at every level of the organization, of individuals that represent variations in race, color, religion, nationality, ethnic background, age, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, marital status, socio-economic status, status with regard to public assistance, political affiliation, veteran status, other non-visible differences and other protected attributes.
- Inclusion means creating a culture within Ampersand Families that acknowledges and values difference — a culture in which services are provided in a culturally sensitive manner and that encourages employees, volunteers and clients to participate in ways that take advantage of their unique strengths and talents.
- Ampersand Families defines equity as fairness and equal access. Ampersand Families understands that society does not currently create equal access for all groups and that we must actively model and pursue fair and equitable practices and policies.
A BOARD-LEVEL COMMITMENT
The Diversity, Equity & Inclusion Committee of the Board of Directors is responsible for:
- Initiating conversations about diversity, inclusion and equity with the board.
- Ensuring that the organization uses diversity, inclusion and equity as a lens when making all major decisions.
- Ensuring that board members receive training in the area of equity.
- Formulating organization-wide benchmarks for the organization to measure progress in the areas of equity, diversity and inclusion.
- Ensuring organizational accountability for diversity, inclusion and equity work.