Ampersand Families has learned though experience that families who have chosen to grow their families through foster care and adoption often have a crucial need for consistent built-in community support and connection.
Our Buddy Family Program works to establish that built-in support for youth and caregivers who either have or are going through the adoption process.
Building a new family through adoption from foster care is a wonderful and exhausting experience for both the youth and the care givers. Buddy families are people from the community trained and committed to supporting a pre-adoptive or adoptive family for at least one year.
There are many reasons people might choose to become a Buddy Family:
- A family may be interested in becoming an adoptive family but are not yet ready to make that commitment.
- Neighbors, friends and family members may want to connect and support a youth and family within their community.
- An individual or family may have personal connections to adoption and want to support others through their experience.
- Once trained and matched, Buddy Families get to know the care givers and youth and work to build connection. They help by spending a couple of evenings and one weekend a month with the youth so that everyone can have a break from the intense work of family building. Support can look a lot of different ways and the Buddy Family and adoptive family work together to find what would feel most helpful.
Our Buddy Family Program was highlighted on Twin Cities Live Kid Connection!
The video features Program Director Misty Coonce talking about the need for Buddy Families, and features one of our Buddy Families talking about how enriching being part of the program has been for them
What can I expect from the process to become a Buddy Family?
Buddy families attend a two-part Buddy Family Training, participate in a volunteer background check, complete a home visit and home safety check with Ampersand staff and, depending on the case, might go through the foster care licensing process.
Feeling ready to sign up and learn more?
Fill out our initial form and we will connect with you!
Upcoming Buddy Family Trainings
We are currently hosting Virtual Training in two parts:
- Part 1: Video for viewing at home prior to attending live training. View the video here.
- Part 2: Live virtual training date TBD, please check back soon
Becoming part of the support network for a new family is a fulfilling and energizing experience for everyone!